About Grace

Jul 31, 2021
In 1946, the Jordan City Baptist Church, pastored by Rev. JL Reeves, was located on Talbotton Road on what is now an empty lot adjacent to Buck Ice & Coal, Co. Mr. Jordan, owner of the cotton mill across the street, donated a plat of land to the church at 2915 14th Avenue. On June 23rd, forty-seven members disbanded the church, moved to the new location and incorporated as Grace Baptist Church under Rev. HL West. After two years, Pastor West resigned and was succeeded by Rev. JE Wilks, another original member, who served as interim pastor for the next eight months. Pastor VA Campbell was called in April 1949, and served for over a year. On October 1, 1950, Rev. Jimmy C. Neaves became the church’s pastor.

In 1952, Pastor Neaves led the church to build a new auditorium, now called Hodges Hall. Later that year, the church adopted its first official constitution. Pastor Neaves cut his own salary so that the church could begin supporting its first two missionaries at $10 per month each. In February of 1956, the church purchased its first bus to bring in children from the community.

Pastor Neaves died unexpectedly, and on November 3, 1957, the church called Rev. Walter Lee Hodges as pastor. For the next 31 years, Pastor Hodges expanded the church’s outreach through the bus ministry, missionary support, the founding of a Christian School, the establishing of sister churches in the community and the winning of souls. On September 25, 1966, the church voted to dissolve its denominational ties and become independent. By 1972, the church had outgrown its facility, and the current auditorium was built. Under Bro. Hodges’ ministry, the Sunday morning attendance grew to an average of 300 to 400. In 1979, Pastor Hodges led the congregation to begin Grace Christian School. By August of that year, the new Educational Building was finished, and the first year began with 65 students in grades 1 through 9 with Rev. Doug Hodges as the school’s first principal.

In 1988, Brother Hodges retired for health reasons and recommended Rev. David Price to succeed him. Under Brother Price, the church and school attendance continued to rise. In an attempt to accommodate this growth, the church facility underwent a remodeling project and purchased a modest amount of adjacent property. It soon became apparent, however, that the congregation’s vision was outgrowing its facilities, and in 1996, the church purchased 40 acres of largely undeveloped land adjacent to a main highway leading out of Columbus.

In 1999, Pastor Price resigned, and the church called Dr. Jeffrey A. Amsbaugh. Our Faith Promise Commitment to Missions more than doubled, and we now support 170 missionaries. Dr. Amsbaugh and Grace Baptist Church joined forces with the Christian Servicemen’s Center and began on-post Bible studies for the soldiers at Ft. Benning.

In 2012, Pastor Amsbaugh resigned, and in January 2013 the church called Pastor Jeremy Rands. Pastor Rands implemented needed changes and led the church to improve the current facilities at the church and school. In September 2015, Pastor Rands resigned.

In February 2016, Grace called Seth Hon to be the pastor. We’ve already seen our outreach ministries grow, and souls are being saved. We are excited to see what the Lord has in store for Grace Baptist Church!